<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Those things that get in your way

A few months ago, I thought the sensible thing would be to start looking for employment right away. I envisioned myself graduated with interviews already lined up. I envisioned myself finding the perfect job -- maybe not the most money, but something.

After years of working hard and getting by -- and I'm not complaining, cause lately I'm more than getting by -- graduating became synonymous with choice for me. It meant I could choose to leave this town, with school not holding me back. It meant I could choose a career, with my handy piece of paper referenced on my resume. Good grades meant more options, too, and I did that. I did my best.

Last weekend, I was completely thrilled to be going on my first job interview. Over the last year or two, I've done some serious soul-searching, among other things, and really tried to dig deep and find that magical thing of all things I might want to do with myself, or at least begin by doing.

I thought about The Daily Cougar. I thought about what classes I liked in school. I thought about in general the things that make me happy. I narrowed it down; it was so gratifying to do that; and of all things, I realized the thing I did that had the most impact on my life, and the thing where I know I had the ability and opportunity to positively effect so many people, was what I was able to do for the kids at Elks Camp.

So, as someone who is always learning, and as someone who enjoys geeking out about things and passing them on to others, and as someone who really cares and has empathy for people, especially children, I decided to go and apply that experience toward a career in teaching. I decided that at the end of the day I would come home feeling good about what I'd done, which wasn't always the case with other things.

Back to the interview. It was great. The school is this wonderful place. A middle school in Austin. It has two schools within it, a regular one with kids from the neighborhood, and a magnet one where they are brought in by bus every day. It used to be an all black school, before integration, and is still mostly occupied by those of minorities and socioeconomically disadvantaged. The kids, given my background and theirs, are exactly the ones I want to help.

Furthermore, the position sounded perfect for me. I met the teacher and director of the magnet school - and they met me on a Saturday. We drove to Austin, stayed the night in a hotel, and then, I met them, at this really cool coffee house, and they told me all about the position.

It was an assistant teacher position for autistic kids, helping them handle their emotions and pick up social skills. Helping them work with "regular" kids in their classes, and helping them to advance in ways other than academic.

Seemed like the right thing to do, and when I was practically offered the job I was ecstatic.

One thing got in the way. A mistake I had made.

The school district has a rule made by the superintendent not to hire anyone with a DWI within five years of the offense. No exceptions.

My application had never even been approved.

I had been applying for jobs, sending letter after letter to principals and assistant principals, and had never received any word about this rule until the job was less than two inches from my grasp.

I'm not going to dwell on it. I am upset; I was more upset two days ago when I got the news.

Now, a change of plans. A shift in things. It was a wrench, nothing more, and we will figure it out.

I'm looking into how to make this charge go away; it may cost me some time and money, but what else have I got?

It just ... I don't know. Put this dark cloud over things for me.

I thought - I was told - that a misdemeanor wasn't a big deal. And a first offense. And that I could if it came up say something like, "I made a mistake in college."

But now I know. It does make a difference. It is what it is. So now, we are just going to move forward and deal with it. That's what we've got to do for now.

In the meantime, I know great things are ahead. I know there's no real sense of urgency other than what may be on the outside, small. Things like wanting to get out of this city, get a bigger apartment, start over, get a new job, set a wedding date.

But I waited a long time to get where I am, and I suppose if I must, I can wait a little longer.

Labels: , , , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?