<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Notes from the Road - 5/15/11

Just on the road from seeing The Grand Canyon for the first time. We are a couple of hours from In-N-Out burger, and then it's on to Bakersfield.

Tomorrow we will head from Bakersfield to our new home in Walnut Creek. It's hard to write in the car. It's cramped and piled high in the back. The dogs are asleep on the pile -- we covered up our bags with their blankets.

I have to say the Grand Canyon is one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen. Would love to spend more time there someday.

Speaking of someday, it IS someday! I can't tell you how many times in my life I have thought, When am I going to be happy? When am I going to find someone? When am I going to get the hell out of Houston? When's my turn? It took a long, long time, but I think I've learned the secret to happiness -- it's creating it. It's letting go of the past, savoring the only life you have, and setting goals, and reaching them through one small step at a time.

It's been quite a journey, yet it's also a new beginning. Instead of grad school, and becoming a teacher, I got a job. I will be commuting every day to Downtown SF. I just know I'm going to love it. We're moving to possibly the most fun city in the world! It's beautiful, and full of stuff to do, and full of transplants just like me.

I'm not homesick. I expect to be sometime. I wish I could have spent more time with some people like Renee and my niece. She's really special. But all in all technology is awesome. I will still email Mer like every day, and I'll call my Grandma once a week, and Renee's getting Skype, I think. There is too much to be excited about right now. Too much to be grateful for. I know these times will have their challenges, but I am confident that I can handle them. I'm just ready to enjoy the present for a little while.

I wrote seven years ago that I wanted love in my life. I wanted to love my job, and to have someone to love who would love me back, and to live in a place that I love just as much. It's a tall order, but I'm remembering that, and feeling damn lucky, and ever so grateful. Just really happy.

2 Comments:

Miss Cara, you never cease to inspire me! I always have, still do, and always will think you rock. Enjoy your new home and city! :)

By Blogger Momma L, at 6:25 AM  

Thank you, Misty! Love you, girl!

By Blogger regina, at 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?