<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Songs in the Key of Cara



1. Your Favorite Song -- I don't know that I have a favorite song. "Hit or Miss" by New Found Glory was one for a long time. Still near the top. Then, I could think of a crapload of Weezer songs. But then, I thought of this one, which I spent lots of time listening to on repeat in the summer of 2007, and many times since:
"Smoke" by Ben Folds

2. Least Favorite Song -- I did not include this in the mix. I will probably get some boos for this, but, it's my least favorite song on the album. However, I LOVE the Shins' cover on the EP that came out before the album. P.S. not saying it's a bad song, just my least favorite. Decided not to include it in the mix, though.
"We Will Become Silhouettes" by The Postal Service

3. A Song That Makes You Happy -- I probably could have picked any song on this album. I've got so many great memories associated with this band, not to mention the album rules!
"Undone (The Sweater Song" by Weezer

4. A Song That Makes You Sad -- Took me a moment, but I thought of the Little Earthquakes album. And then that reminded me of being an angsty teenager/early college student. And then I remembered this song, the chorus, the beautiful but heartwrenching piano line. I had to look up the title; it's been that long since I'd heard it. And then I listened to it and you know what? Same effect it's always had. That is so rare for a song.
"Mother" by Tori Amos

5. A Song That Reminds You of Someone -- You know how some couples own songs and it's like Whatev. Songs belong to no one. Well, this song belongs to me and someone. Every time I hear it I think of listening to it in the car and singing it loudly and laughing for like no reason other than I'm the happiest I've ever been in my whole life.
"The Underdog" by Spoon

6. A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere -- There are so many songs about places. They taught me why setting is important. Setting in plays. Setting in films. Setting in life. Setting is so important to me. Setting is beautiful, and so often overlooked, as a process. As an influence. This song makes me laugh. Songs about places are great in general, but take on new meaning when you've actually been there. I remember when I went to Washington and someone told me I had to hear this song. On a trip to Seattle via a ferry I caught in Bremerton, I bought the album:
"Move to Bremerton" by MXPX

7. A Song That Reminds You of a Certain Event -- This song reminds me of September 2007, when I told my Mom all I wanted for my birthday was tickets to go see Incubus. And I brought Angie, and we went with Joe and James. We all wore our orange camp t-shirts. I had such a blast that night. I particularly enjoyed this song of many. It has reminded me of that concert every time ever since:
"Wish You Were Here" by Incubus

8. A Song That You Know All the Words To -- Tons. Too many. But I can play this one, too:
"Something Vague" by Bright Eyes

9. Song That You Can Dance To -- Like Ed said, there are lots of songs you can dance to. I almost got nostalgic for a minute and listened to a few YouTube versions of "Pictures of You" by the Cure. But changed my mind and decided to go with this, because you can't help moving when you hear it. I know you can't.
"Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand

10. A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep -- This song is not boring to me. And it's probably not your typical falling asleep song. But to me it's not very intrusive and it's very pleasant sounding. I have put it on repeat and gone to sleep many times:
"One of These Things" by Nick Drake

11. A Song From Your Favorite Band -- I don't know if they're my favorite, but I can never find anything wrong with the Beatles, nor am I ever not in the mood to listen to them. In fact, no matter what mood I'm in, I'm pretty sure I can put them on and become happy instantly. There's not a single song of theirs I dislike. I love every album, all of their phases, everything in between.
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles

12. A Song from a Band You Hate -- I don't really hate this band, I guess. I don't really like them either, persay. But I like two of their songs. "Anthem," and this one:
"Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" by Good Charlotte

13. A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure -- What? He is talented.
"One Time" by Justin Bieber

14. A Song That No One Would Expect You To Love -- Well, maybe you would. But you may not know the extent that I love Bon Jovi. BON JOVI!!!!! Yeah!
"Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi

15. A Song That Describes You -- Can't think of a whole song but I just remembered that line "She has trouble acting normal when she's nervous." Which, maybe that's everyone. But definitely true in my case.
"Round Here" by Counting Crows

16. A Song That You Used to Love But Now Hate -- I can't think of anything. Nope. Nothing. Every song I've ever loved is awesome. Still.

17. A Song That You Hear Often on the Radio -- I don't really listed to the radio, which is weird because how did Justin Bieber get on this mix then? I don't know. I guess with all the social media, TV, Internet, pop culture just sorta permeates everything in your life, whether you want it to or not.

18. A Song That You Wish You Heard on the Radio -- I don't know. I liked a lot of albums I reviewed my last year in college, and none of them are on the radio. I wish more people knew about them, though. Lemme see if I can find one ...
"Baker Lake" by Sera Cahoone

19. A Song from Your Favorite Album -- I don't know if I have a favorite album, but my favorite Radiohead album has been and always will be The Bends. I'm sure that says something about me, but I'll leave it for you to figure out. Great songs. Great album. Here's one:
"High and Dry" by Radiohead

20. A Song That You Listen to When You Are Angry -- I don't know. Maybe something by Ani D. or Rage Against the Machine. Hmm. Not exactly angry sounding, but ...
"Your Next Bold Move" by Ani DiFranco

21. A Song That You Listen to When You're Happy -- This one's easy!
"A Praise Chorus" by Jimmy Eat World

22. A Song That You Listen to When You're Sad -- This is one that always cheers me up, no matter my mood:
"All That I Know" by The Get Up Kids

23. A Song That You Want to Play at Your Wedding -- We didn't play any music at our wedding. Just the sounds of the wind and the San Francisco Bay

24. A Song That You Want to Play at Your Funeral -- That's kind of morbid.
"Dead Flowers" by the Rolling Stones

25. A Song That Makes You Laugh -- I'm going to go with the Moldy Peaches. I was just thinking about them the other day! Lemme see what I can find ...Yes! They have it:
"Who's Got the Crack?" by the Moldy Peaches

26. A Song That You Can Play on an Instrument
"One" -- the Johnny Cash version

27. A Song That You Wish You Could Play -- Too many ... If I were at home I could look through my stack of music and pick one!
"The Absence of God" by Rilo Kiley

28. A Song That Makes You Feel Guilty -- meh. Don't feel like sharing!

29. A Song from Your Childhood -- I swear this one the best song ever when I was like five:
"Into the Groove" by Madonna

30. Your Favorite Song from This Time Last Year -- You mean I get to include another one? Yay! Hmm, lemme think ... I was listening to a lot of JC's stuff this time last year.
"Bittersweet" by Jason Consolacion

Labels:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?