<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 07, 2010

My Meg Ryan Story

I've always been a sap for those Nora Ephron romantic comedy-type stories. I'd always say it wasn't just the yucky sweet love stuff that made me love them. It was also their wit in certain moments, and the way they were put together, and the way they also paint the importance of geography really well. You don't just fall in love with the characters. You fall in love with New York. Seattle. Harry Connick, Jr.

I think every girl wants some story. I waited and waited, and finally told myself this stuff was for movies only. I mean, even Nora Ephron said that When Harry Met Sally would never happen in real life. And that's what makes it such a loveable movie. Then, when I wasn't looking, it happened.

It didn't occur to me that this was even one of those stories in the beginning. It only dawned on me today as I was writing a friend of mine. I hadn't spoken to this friend in two years, and two years ago I suppose our story was just about beginning. The story of my husband and I falling in love, and getting married and living happily ever after. Something like that.

I was thinking about the first time he told me he loved me. I didn't know how to take it. I didn't know how to love, and I didn't know how I should be loved. And I was in a relationship, and he was my boss. I felt like I was going to throw up. Actually, no, I did throw up. But not until after I said something like, "This is how you do?" I was so angry. I guess I was used to denying my feelings by that point, and there he was, bringing everything out into the open without asking my permission. What if I wanted to leave everything the way it was? Miserable, but comfortable, you know?

And just like the movies, in writing this I now have the option of leaving out the hard parts and going to the part where the hero and heroine get married and live happily ever after.

But wait? Married you say? Have you seen Hook? Do you remember the part when the lost boys found out Peter Pan was a father? "Peter Pan's gots kids?" they asked in disbelief.

That's sort of how I felt about getting married, I suppose, which is why I have not written about it until now. I've been processing. Marinating. Learning to embrace and believe the story. That I met the love of my life, and together we found happiness.

I don't know what to say about the wedding day, other than, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day, and isn't that was every bride and groom wants? So, I think we did all right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?