Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Treatment
I started the pills around November. My doctor and I decided to go with LoSeasonique. Part of understanding PMDD is understanding the relationship between levels of estrogen and progestin in the body and serotonin levels in the brain. It seems that for a "normal" woman, the levels of serotonin actually get higher before a period. For women with PMDD, the serotonin levels plummet. It's the body's reaction to the changing hormone levels that does it.
Since my treatment options were to try birth control pills or SSRI's, I decided to try the Pill first, since we're getting married but aren't interested in kids just yet. My neurologist gave me the OK to take estrogen. Since I'm no longer a smoker, we are not worried about the risk of stroke. Also, according to my doctors, my Mom's stroke years ago was caused by a very rare condition that is not necessarily hereditary and I'm not at risk for it.
Of course, on top of this stuff, I am doing what I can to "naturally" help myself. With the wedding diet, I've been working out regularly and counting calories for months. I quit caffeine months ago, although I still do have decaf once in awhile. I know that decaf does have caffeine a little; however, it doesn't effect me in nearly the same way as it did before I went on the Pill. It used to definitely make a difference in increasing my lack of concentration, anxiety, and irritability. The effects now are only slight. But I rarely have chocolate and only drink an occasional caffeine free soda. Mostly, I drink water. I take women's vitamins to help also with Vitamin D and Calcium deficiencies, which are also supposed to make PMDD worse. I workout about three times a week, and usually run and bike miles when I do. It definitely helps with managing my thoughts and mood, as well as stress.
On the whole, the Pill is what has helped the most. The first two months were like a dream. Even my fiance would tell you how changed, how more like myself, I am. The first two weeks I noticed my fuse was a little short, but that was only from adjusting to the meds. After that, it was smooth sailing. No craziness at all.
The third month I had a lot of cramps and spotting, though. I went back to my doctor not knowing if this is a good thing. I certainly don't like it, but still mentally, everything is fine. She suggested I try another three-month pill cycle and see if it improves, because this is common for a lot of women, and sometimes the body gets used to it and it stops. If it doesn't improve, though, with the blessing of my neurologist she will raise the estrogen level.
So, I'm about to start my fourth month. I'm having my first period in three months. Today is the first time I have missed work because of my period in more than three months. I'm home today because of the cramps. I have been in a bit of a low mood, and have had a little insomnia, so that's probably partly the period, but who knows, because I've also been upset here and there about my sister and my mom. I used to have to stay home because of the PMDD, just because I was that afraid I would yell at someone, so missing one day because of cramps isn't a big deal to me.
I'm very grateful for LoSeasonique for now. Even my migraines are predictable. They last a little longer, two-to-three days instead of one or two, but I have been able to predict them. During the 13-week set of pills I only got them the first, fifth, and ninth weeks. When they come I just take my Naproxen my neurologist prescribed me, and it helps. I used to get them twice a month, during ovulation and again before my period.
We know it is a short-term solution. I do worry about if I have to try another pill, and I worry about post-partum depression if we later decide to have children, but for now, this is the best thing. I have been able to handle my life, get my work done, maintain my relationships. I do not miss that level of rage I would feel, or how I would get so nervous and anxious for no reason my voice would shake.
I just read that although doctors treat PMDD, the FDA has still not recognized it as a medical condition. I hope more people can learn about this disorder so that one day more women can get help with it. It definitely made the difference in the quality of my life when I finally decided to do something about it. I'm glad I did, and I'm glad I've had the support from my friends and future husband to do so.
I started the pills around November. My doctor and I decided to go with LoSeasonique. Part of understanding PMDD is understanding the relationship between levels of estrogen and progestin in the body and serotonin levels in the brain. It seems that for a "normal" woman, the levels of serotonin actually get higher before a period. For women with PMDD, the serotonin levels plummet. It's the body's reaction to the changing hormone levels that does it.
Since my treatment options were to try birth control pills or SSRI's, I decided to try the Pill first, since we're getting married but aren't interested in kids just yet. My neurologist gave me the OK to take estrogen. Since I'm no longer a smoker, we are not worried about the risk of stroke. Also, according to my doctors, my Mom's stroke years ago was caused by a very rare condition that is not necessarily hereditary and I'm not at risk for it.
Of course, on top of this stuff, I am doing what I can to "naturally" help myself. With the wedding diet, I've been working out regularly and counting calories for months. I quit caffeine months ago, although I still do have decaf once in awhile. I know that decaf does have caffeine a little; however, it doesn't effect me in nearly the same way as it did before I went on the Pill. It used to definitely make a difference in increasing my lack of concentration, anxiety, and irritability. The effects now are only slight. But I rarely have chocolate and only drink an occasional caffeine free soda. Mostly, I drink water. I take women's vitamins to help also with Vitamin D and Calcium deficiencies, which are also supposed to make PMDD worse. I workout about three times a week, and usually run and bike miles when I do. It definitely helps with managing my thoughts and mood, as well as stress.
On the whole, the Pill is what has helped the most. The first two months were like a dream. Even my fiance would tell you how changed, how more like myself, I am. The first two weeks I noticed my fuse was a little short, but that was only from adjusting to the meds. After that, it was smooth sailing. No craziness at all.
The third month I had a lot of cramps and spotting, though. I went back to my doctor not knowing if this is a good thing. I certainly don't like it, but still mentally, everything is fine. She suggested I try another three-month pill cycle and see if it improves, because this is common for a lot of women, and sometimes the body gets used to it and it stops. If it doesn't improve, though, with the blessing of my neurologist she will raise the estrogen level.
So, I'm about to start my fourth month. I'm having my first period in three months. Today is the first time I have missed work because of my period in more than three months. I'm home today because of the cramps. I have been in a bit of a low mood, and have had a little insomnia, so that's probably partly the period, but who knows, because I've also been upset here and there about my sister and my mom. I used to have to stay home because of the PMDD, just because I was that afraid I would yell at someone, so missing one day because of cramps isn't a big deal to me.
I'm very grateful for LoSeasonique for now. Even my migraines are predictable. They last a little longer, two-to-three days instead of one or two, but I have been able to predict them. During the 13-week set of pills I only got them the first, fifth, and ninth weeks. When they come I just take my Naproxen my neurologist prescribed me, and it helps. I used to get them twice a month, during ovulation and again before my period.
We know it is a short-term solution. I do worry about if I have to try another pill, and I worry about post-partum depression if we later decide to have children, but for now, this is the best thing. I have been able to handle my life, get my work done, maintain my relationships. I do not miss that level of rage I would feel, or how I would get so nervous and anxious for no reason my voice would shake.
I just read that although doctors treat PMDD, the FDA has still not recognized it as a medical condition. I hope more people can learn about this disorder so that one day more women can get help with it. It definitely made the difference in the quality of my life when I finally decided to do something about it. I'm glad I did, and I'm glad I've had the support from my friends and future husband to do so.
Labels: Cramps, LoSeasonique, Migraines, PMDD