<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Six Words

It's not a big grandiose story, but it is perfect.

He asked me at home on the stoop, and I was very surprised. We were having this really great conversation, like we've had so many times. We were just going to watch Heroes, and we ended up talking for hours, sitting outside together on the steps, sharing a beer like we do so often. He went inside to get another one, only when he went in he also grabbed the ring and took it out with him in his pocket.

We've had so many conversations in that place. Once early on in our relationship I actually proposed to him, just being a nerd right there. I picked a flower when he was standing on the stairs, somewhere out of the concrete, and holding it, in my arm outstretched to him I said, "Will you marry me?" He kept it. I think he still has it ... this brown wilted little flower.

It's our spot, and not only that, but we find a spot like that no matter where we go. We've had them in San Francisco and Los Angeles and Dallas and Austin.

He got down on one knee and asked, "Cara, will you be my wife?" He tried to explain why he chose to do it then and there, and although I understood it becomes more clear with each and every single passing moment.

I said yes. After holding back tears and hugging him as close as I could I said yes, because the truth of the matter is that it's not the place at all. It's Us. And Us is all we can be, and all we want to be. With each other. For the rest of our lives.

Labels: , , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?