Saturday, August 16, 2008
Remember Pancakes?
I love going out for breakfast. I have to go just about every weekend. During the week, I roll out of bed, get ready for work, and I bring Pop Tarts and eat them at my desk every day around 9:00 like clockwork. I make coffee with my boss, and sip on it.
But on the weekend, I always wake up already energized, excited about what to do, and the first thing I want to do is go get some breakfast -- preferably some damn tasty greasy breakfast, especially if it's a Saturday, 'cause Friday's usually my one drinking night of the week.
So, I've been thinking about breakfast. Ellen and I used to say something about how good love is like pancakes. I even once told someone I loved him like pancakes.
But love isn't much like pancakes entirely. At least, it isn't always pancakes, and I might have gotten greedy as far as breakfast is concerned, but I want so much more than pancakes.
You know how when you go out to breakfast there is never one meal with everything? It's like you can have eggs and pancakes, but then you have to order hash browns on the side. Or you can get eggs and hash browns with pancakes, but what if you want a biscuit?
It seems like no matter what you order you have to get a side of something, or you'll be lacking. Only, you don't want to order that side of something, because a) you are already spending so much, and b) if you got even more you know you wouldn't finish your plate. In light of this generally something you're craving just won't be there.
I don't even eat meat, and I still feel that. Can't imagine how much more complicated it might be for people who want sausage and bacon and ham. Damn. Now, that would be a dilemma.
I know it's out there, though, someplace. Someplace there's a breakfast on the menu that has everything I could ever want. Would I waste my life trying to find it, not being happy with the standard IHOP, House of Pies, or Chapultepec breakfast menu? Or can I just find one thing that satisfies me enough for now and eat that every week?
I love going out for breakfast. I have to go just about every weekend. During the week, I roll out of bed, get ready for work, and I bring Pop Tarts and eat them at my desk every day around 9:00 like clockwork. I make coffee with my boss, and sip on it.
But on the weekend, I always wake up already energized, excited about what to do, and the first thing I want to do is go get some breakfast -- preferably some damn tasty greasy breakfast, especially if it's a Saturday, 'cause Friday's usually my one drinking night of the week.
So, I've been thinking about breakfast. Ellen and I used to say something about how good love is like pancakes. I even once told someone I loved him like pancakes.
But love isn't much like pancakes entirely. At least, it isn't always pancakes, and I might have gotten greedy as far as breakfast is concerned, but I want so much more than pancakes.
You know how when you go out to breakfast there is never one meal with everything? It's like you can have eggs and pancakes, but then you have to order hash browns on the side. Or you can get eggs and hash browns with pancakes, but what if you want a biscuit?
It seems like no matter what you order you have to get a side of something, or you'll be lacking. Only, you don't want to order that side of something, because a) you are already spending so much, and b) if you got even more you know you wouldn't finish your plate. In light of this generally something you're craving just won't be there.
I don't even eat meat, and I still feel that. Can't imagine how much more complicated it might be for people who want sausage and bacon and ham. Damn. Now, that would be a dilemma.
I know it's out there, though, someplace. Someplace there's a breakfast on the menu that has everything I could ever want. Would I waste my life trying to find it, not being happy with the standard IHOP, House of Pies, or Chapultepec breakfast menu? Or can I just find one thing that satisfies me enough for now and eat that every week?
Labels: Marriage, Pancakes, Relationships