Saturday, May 03, 2008
Give me a man who thinks for himself calmly, isn't so easily influenced by his friends or anyone else, but also doesn't have to make every decision into a power struggle.
Give me a man who has goals, a job he can keep, and who doesn't go over budget no matter how much money he makes because he always has to have a new toy.
Give me a man who left drugs in college, who doesn't still fucking drool over himself over status things like whom he knows, and whether he's getting some kind of social recognition.
Give me a man who doesn't still have petty dreams about being famous somehow, or if he does, at least let him be doing something about it, working on something or toward something, instead of just talking about the next big thing while never doing anything.
Give me a man who will make a sacrifice sometimes to do things like women do. You know, we're not always totally thrilled to be going to your parents' house either, etc.
Oh, and give me a man who doesn't have a porn collection to rival that of a 13-year-old's.
Give me a man who doesn't refer to someone he used to date as "his best friend," even though they don't even hang out.
Give me a man who will let me pick a CD in the car once in awhile.
Give me a man who really wants to celebrate something: like anniversaries, or birthdays, or getting a new job, or a new addition to your family (like your niece or nephew), or even simple things like getting to spend time together after a long, busy week.
OK, if anyone knows where I could find one of these men of men, please let me know. I'm a real good listener. And I'll sing him to sleep.
Thanks.
3 Comments:
This blog posting is like "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" except from a female's perspective. I looked at your checklist and I don't think I could meet all those qualifications. I set some pretty lofty standards for women too and sometimes I end making myself miserable doing so. The last girl I semi-dated I was uncertain about the fact that she had kids. Now that she's gone, I miss her.
By , at 1:46 PM
Ha, funny. I didn't even think about it like a song, but you're right. hmm.
I wrote this list while contemplating maintaining singledom for at least a year. We'll see.
Thanks, Stefan.
Aw. You know, I might have the only one of these there is, and I'm not at all sure that I deserve him! But if I run into another one, I'm all about letting you know ...

