<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, April 11, 2008

Call Me 'Ralph'

Privet, friend!

A woman's attire projects a statement of social and economic status. When women pass judgment on one another, one of the first things they note is shoes. The woman who saunters in a room wearing Manolos, without a doubt projects a certain persona. Fashion creates an image. Today, shoes have become a signature item. Personal style either flaunts or hides personality.

Shoes illustrate personal taste and wealth. A woman's confidence level is placed in public display. You can be the best by wearing Loafers, Boots, High Heels, Sneakers and Casual Shoes from Brand Names at less than WHOLESALE prices. You can chose from Uggs, Gucci, Dsquared, D&G, Bally, Coach, Versace, Prada, Chanel, Dior and much more. Forget department store prices, Enjoy DIRECT PRICING at more than 65% OFF on a wide variety of 2008 Collections. Go now! http://www.shoesaleapril08.com.


***

I received the above email this afternoon.

For some reason the first line caught me, and then I read the next one, and the next one.

And then, I got to the plug for the shoe sale.

Does anyone else find something disgustingly and inherently wrong in this?

Let's start over.

***

A woman's attire projects a statement of social and economic status. When women pass judgment on one another, one of the first things they note is shoes. The woman who saunters in a room wearing Manolos, without a doubt projects a certain persona. Fashion creates an image. Today, shoes have become a signature item. Personal style either flaunts or hides personality. Shoes illustrate personal taste and wealth. A woman's confidence level is placed in public display. You can be the best by throwing this email and this mindset in the trash.

I want to fight. I want to find this person and sit them down and have some words. It's not just a person. It's not just words. It's not just an ad.

Not long ago in my media effects class, we were analyzing advertising and its sterotypical portrayal of men and women today. What shocked me most, more than anything in the ads themselves, was how little anyone seemed to pay attention, or take their implication seriously.

In class discussions -- and I do realize in college at least in my experience the idiots always seem to speak first -- most of the social messages were denied.

If anything, you could see a commercial saying something similar to the above shoe ad, and some guy would say something like, "Women like to shop. So what! There's nothing wrong with that ad. It's the truth."

What? But that would just be one instance. I could find a dozen in a 30-second bit, and it works both ways. And yes, some of the men in my class were offended slightly by the way most of the commercials painted them as mindless when it comes to cooking or kids, but for the most part, I was shocked by how many seemed to be perfectly content with the status quo.

I thought, being that we are largely communication majors enrolled in the upper-level course, we should all have a unique interest in the subject. Now I know that was idealistic, and why would those who plan to work in advertising or PR, corporate communications, or even some future "journalists" want to pick at the BIG BAD They, that they are so close to becoming party to.

Still, I raise my eyebrow at this, definitely. No, I scoff at this. No, I punch it in the face next time I see it.

Because you know what, if wardrobe is helping to further fabricate some sort of social statement while giving women and other individuals another way to step up against each other and divide even further, and suspect each other, or worse, become jealous, who needs it.

And don't get me wrong: I understand and have friends who are really into fashion. I'm not necessarily trying to degrade the whole industry when to some it is more than a hobby or even a passion, but there's still something to be said about the fact that boots, loafers and heels have never been the answer, and a nicer pair isn't going to do crap for you in the future.

But that's fine. It's not like I go around trying to put on the fact that I don't care. If you want a job, unless you're going to work from home in your underwear (lucky bastards!) you must submit, or care at least a little.

But the idea that better shoes will make You better somehow, or get you further, is just ridiculous. I'm sure in some parts of the business world, that is sadly true. And I DO NOT intend to play a role in that part.

Still, materialism, judgment and misogyny are huge social issues that deserve a closer look. Problem is the messenger gets shot, and the message drops dead. Because people seem to have to either write this stuff off or laugh it off, and it just makes me ill.

shoes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?