Sunday, October 24, 2004
Dance, dance, dance 'n' go crazy
Today is my first day off in three weeks. Woohoo! Don't get me wrong, though. I work hard, but I try to party hard. Actually, I worked so much in the last two weeks that I asked my boss to hook me up with a bunch of lunches this week so I could go to some shows at night. So I pretty much rocked out.
This was one of the best weeks I've had in as long as I can remember.
Wednesday I went to see New Found Glory, Sugarcult and Green Day. Got the hell beat out of me in the pit. Plus, I went with Terrence, and he's one of my best friends in the world, so it doesn't get much better than that. But you know what else ruled? Getting to finally hear my favorite song, "Hit or Miss," cheesy but goddam great as it is, live. Plus listening to Sugarcult play "Memory" kicked ass because I know how to play it, so I sort of played my guitar along with them in my head. I'm such a dork but damn it was a good time. And I finally got a Sugarcult shirt. I browsed some online this summer but I was too poor back then; it's nice to finally get to sport one.
Thursday I saw Rilo Kiley with the Elected and Tilly and the Wall. Now, if seeing one of my favorite bands for the fourth time wasn't bad ass enough, it was really rad to finally get to see Blake's project. I bought the album last spring.
I acted like a damn fool in the audience. I hope I wasn't too obnoxious. I was just really excited to be there. I don't think I was because I actually made some friends. (It helps to have a cool hat. Remember I said I was going to buy one the other day? Well, I did, and it rules.)
At one point I screamed "I love you" to Blake. It was so awesome. I never do shit like that and I kind of felt like a loser, but I didn't give a shit. He just acted all shocked and sweet. He said, "What? You love me?" And I just screamed back, "I love you!" Then he said he loved me too.
I met a guy in the audience named Mo who taped the whole thing, and said he'd give me a copy if I want. Anyway, if you can't have fun when you're young when the fuck can you?
Blake is cool. I remember one time I interviewed him two or three years ago after a show for the Cougar, and at first I thought he was blowing me off because he was talking to fans and he asked if I could hang out for awhile so we could talk later, but he ended up going outside the club with me where it was more quiet, and he stood and had about a 15-minute conversation with me, stopping to take a picture or two with fans on their way out.
I remember I asked him what his top 5 albums of all time were. Revolver was one of them. It stands out because that same spring Roger from The Good Life had listed that one as well. But you know what was about the coolest thing I ever heard? Blake told me when he was in high school he and his friends started a wiffle ball team, and they won the Wiffle Ball World Series.
Tilly and the Wall was super cool too. They had a friggen tap dancer and a tamborine. People were eating that shit up with a spoon.
Rilo Kiley played "My Slumbering Heart" second in their set. I love that song so much.
And everyone knows Jenny is awesome. She's actually one of the reasons I finally picked up guitar. I remember I had a telephone interview with her once, and I used to always ask bands how they got started. I guess I was fishing around, trying to figure out how the hell I was going to start my own. "Just do it," she said. "There's nothing better than just getting to hang out with your friends and make music."
Friday I saw Taking Back Sunday with The Quick Fix Kills, Matchbook Romance and Fall Out Boy. To be honest I tried to give every band the benefit of the doubt. I was just as excited to see those I had never heard as I was to see TBS. But I didn't feel like I got my 20 bucks worth until they came on. They were really impressive live. Probably the best part was their attitudes. They seemed to be having the best time ever. The crowd was great too. It was mostly high school kids, but goddam they were devoted. They knew every word to every song. It almost made me feel like a poser. After the show I danced my ass off to classic Numbers 80s hits and drank a bunch of beer, and flirted shamelessly and successfully with an underaged hottie.
Saturday I got three hours sleep after partying Friday before I had to get up and go to a lame ass corporate meeting. I felt pretty nauseated all day after that, but then at 9 p.m. I went to work, and made like a million dollars closing the bar. I actually had a lot of fun too. I talked about music with these two guys for a long time. Told them how much I think The Police rules, and some other stuff. Usually, people think I'm weird with how much I can go on about music if they're not into it, but it turned out they were musicians. I also ran into a couple pretty good girlfriends from back in high school I had lost touch with something like four years ago. We knew it had been a long time, because one of them I hadn't seen since I went to Notsouh for some bad coffee and good chess. If you're from Houston you know that Notsouh doesn't exist anymore sadly, but damn if I didn't love that place.
Today As I said earlier, I am off! Hooray! Ideally, I will be going to see The Dillinger Escape Plan tonight. But I don't know if my body or vocal chords can handle another show. My voice is hoarse, and my whole body hurts. I know if I try to brave the pit I'll probably die. Even so, I bought their new album awhile back, and I really like it. Plus, I feel like I need to go just out of respect for my buddy Mick who I miss so much in Austin. He was one of the guys at the house where I couched it for awhile. Not the one I slept with and fucked up our friendship. That's another story. His roommate. The moral of the story: If you are technically homeless, don't sleep with the person you're staying with. It might temporarily immensely improve the situation. Ideally, sex makes everything better. But not really. Anyway, I haven't talked to Mick since I left, but Dillinger was his favorite band. He was a bad ass guitarist. He used to crank that shit, and play along with his electric guitar while we'd sit on the couch drunk, beer in hand, and rock out to his one-man show.
Next week Death Cab for Cutie, Pretty Girls Make Graves. Need I say more?
Today is my first day off in three weeks. Woohoo! Don't get me wrong, though. I work hard, but I try to party hard. Actually, I worked so much in the last two weeks that I asked my boss to hook me up with a bunch of lunches this week so I could go to some shows at night. So I pretty much rocked out.
This was one of the best weeks I've had in as long as I can remember.
Wednesday I went to see New Found Glory, Sugarcult and Green Day. Got the hell beat out of me in the pit. Plus, I went with Terrence, and he's one of my best friends in the world, so it doesn't get much better than that. But you know what else ruled? Getting to finally hear my favorite song, "Hit or Miss," cheesy but goddam great as it is, live. Plus listening to Sugarcult play "Memory" kicked ass because I know how to play it, so I sort of played my guitar along with them in my head. I'm such a dork but damn it was a good time. And I finally got a Sugarcult shirt. I browsed some online this summer but I was too poor back then; it's nice to finally get to sport one.
Thursday I saw Rilo Kiley with the Elected and Tilly and the Wall. Now, if seeing one of my favorite bands for the fourth time wasn't bad ass enough, it was really rad to finally get to see Blake's project. I bought the album last spring.
I acted like a damn fool in the audience. I hope I wasn't too obnoxious. I was just really excited to be there. I don't think I was because I actually made some friends. (It helps to have a cool hat. Remember I said I was going to buy one the other day? Well, I did, and it rules.)
At one point I screamed "I love you" to Blake. It was so awesome. I never do shit like that and I kind of felt like a loser, but I didn't give a shit. He just acted all shocked and sweet. He said, "What? You love me?" And I just screamed back, "I love you!" Then he said he loved me too.
I met a guy in the audience named Mo who taped the whole thing, and said he'd give me a copy if I want. Anyway, if you can't have fun when you're young when the fuck can you?
Blake is cool. I remember one time I interviewed him two or three years ago after a show for the Cougar, and at first I thought he was blowing me off because he was talking to fans and he asked if I could hang out for awhile so we could talk later, but he ended up going outside the club with me where it was more quiet, and he stood and had about a 15-minute conversation with me, stopping to take a picture or two with fans on their way out.
I remember I asked him what his top 5 albums of all time were. Revolver was one of them. It stands out because that same spring Roger from The Good Life had listed that one as well. But you know what was about the coolest thing I ever heard? Blake told me when he was in high school he and his friends started a wiffle ball team, and they won the Wiffle Ball World Series.
Tilly and the Wall was super cool too. They had a friggen tap dancer and a tamborine. People were eating that shit up with a spoon.
Rilo Kiley played "My Slumbering Heart" second in their set. I love that song so much.
And everyone knows Jenny is awesome. She's actually one of the reasons I finally picked up guitar. I remember I had a telephone interview with her once, and I used to always ask bands how they got started. I guess I was fishing around, trying to figure out how the hell I was going to start my own. "Just do it," she said. "There's nothing better than just getting to hang out with your friends and make music."
Friday I saw Taking Back Sunday with The Quick Fix Kills, Matchbook Romance and Fall Out Boy. To be honest I tried to give every band the benefit of the doubt. I was just as excited to see those I had never heard as I was to see TBS. But I didn't feel like I got my 20 bucks worth until they came on. They were really impressive live. Probably the best part was their attitudes. They seemed to be having the best time ever. The crowd was great too. It was mostly high school kids, but goddam they were devoted. They knew every word to every song. It almost made me feel like a poser. After the show I danced my ass off to classic Numbers 80s hits and drank a bunch of beer, and flirted shamelessly and successfully with an underaged hottie.
Saturday I got three hours sleep after partying Friday before I had to get up and go to a lame ass corporate meeting. I felt pretty nauseated all day after that, but then at 9 p.m. I went to work, and made like a million dollars closing the bar. I actually had a lot of fun too. I talked about music with these two guys for a long time. Told them how much I think The Police rules, and some other stuff. Usually, people think I'm weird with how much I can go on about music if they're not into it, but it turned out they were musicians. I also ran into a couple pretty good girlfriends from back in high school I had lost touch with something like four years ago. We knew it had been a long time, because one of them I hadn't seen since I went to Notsouh for some bad coffee and good chess. If you're from Houston you know that Notsouh doesn't exist anymore sadly, but damn if I didn't love that place.
Today As I said earlier, I am off! Hooray! Ideally, I will be going to see The Dillinger Escape Plan tonight. But I don't know if my body or vocal chords can handle another show. My voice is hoarse, and my whole body hurts. I know if I try to brave the pit I'll probably die. Even so, I bought their new album awhile back, and I really like it. Plus, I feel like I need to go just out of respect for my buddy Mick who I miss so much in Austin. He was one of the guys at the house where I couched it for awhile. Not the one I slept with and fucked up our friendship. That's another story. His roommate. The moral of the story: If you are technically homeless, don't sleep with the person you're staying with. It might temporarily immensely improve the situation. Ideally, sex makes everything better. But not really. Anyway, I haven't talked to Mick since I left, but Dillinger was his favorite band. He was a bad ass guitarist. He used to crank that shit, and play along with his electric guitar while we'd sit on the couch drunk, beer in hand, and rock out to his one-man show.
Next week Death Cab for Cutie, Pretty Girls Make Graves. Need I say more?