Tuesday, August 24, 2004
Euphoric Sobriety
Last night I found out I can seriously booty dance and I think I taught a couple guys how to as well. We went to Nasty's, this dope hip-hop bar with a small dance floor, and DJ Mel kicked out some old and new school jams to make you shake it while reminiscing seventh grade crushes and smiling. I can say I had a good time.
I'm a songwriting fool. I've written like 10 or 12 songs now, and I've learned probably almost as many covers. I have between four and six songs I definitely want to record, and I wrote three of them this week. I'm thinking about doing an EP and hitting up some Austin labels. I'm at least practicing a lot because I want to start doing open mics here real soon.
God damn I don't think I'll ever fully realize what going out to the Northwest this summer did for me. I found a style finally. I'm writing cheesy poppy dork rock: think Weezer, Green Day, Buddy Holly, Letters to Cleo. It's simple and happy and fun. Totally not the music I pictured myself writing. All right, I feel like I'm totally braggin' on myself when the truth is I'm just so happy.
I've told a couple friends this recently but I'll just restate it for the whole world (or the five people who read this) to know: I'm living out of a suitcase, sleeping on a mostly deflated air mattress in my living room. I'm almost pennyless, and I'm happier than I have been since I can remember.
Cheers.
Last night I found out I can seriously booty dance and I think I taught a couple guys how to as well. We went to Nasty's, this dope hip-hop bar with a small dance floor, and DJ Mel kicked out some old and new school jams to make you shake it while reminiscing seventh grade crushes and smiling. I can say I had a good time.
I'm a songwriting fool. I've written like 10 or 12 songs now, and I've learned probably almost as many covers. I have between four and six songs I definitely want to record, and I wrote three of them this week. I'm thinking about doing an EP and hitting up some Austin labels. I'm at least practicing a lot because I want to start doing open mics here real soon.
God damn I don't think I'll ever fully realize what going out to the Northwest this summer did for me. I found a style finally. I'm writing cheesy poppy dork rock: think Weezer, Green Day, Buddy Holly, Letters to Cleo. It's simple and happy and fun. Totally not the music I pictured myself writing. All right, I feel like I'm totally braggin' on myself when the truth is I'm just so happy.
I've told a couple friends this recently but I'll just restate it for the whole world (or the five people who read this) to know: I'm living out of a suitcase, sleeping on a mostly deflated air mattress in my living room. I'm almost pennyless, and I'm happier than I have been since I can remember.
Cheers.